Academy Graduate/Attendee Police Officer

Job title: Academy Graduate/Attendee Police Officer

Company: City of West Sacramento

Job description: An official City of West Sacramento application form must be filled out, in its entirety. It is the applicant’s responsibility to explain their qualifications fully and clearly. In addition, applicants must submit a resume and complete the required supplemental questionnaire (if applicable). Incomplete information on the application, resume and/or supplemental questionnaire may be cause for disqualification. Application packages will be reviewed and screened for qualifications. Additional screening criteria will be developed based on the supplemental questionnaire (if applicable).


Candidates who are bilingual, have a military background, or experience working with diverse populations, and/or involvement in community initiatives are encouraged to apply!

4.25% for a Bachelor’s Degree and 2.5% for a Masters Degree for a total of 6.75%;
4.85% for Intermediate POST certificate & 5% for an Advanced POST certificate for total of 9.85%;
Longevity pay, 2,5% for 10 years of Sworn POST service, 5% at 12 years of sworn POST service, and 10% at 15 years of Sworn POST service.
$27.50 per pay period fitness incentive.
Employees possessing and utilizing bilingual skills on duty shall receive an additional 5% of their hourly rate of pay.

Examination Process (Academy Graduate Level): The examination process will include a written examination (POST Entry Law Enforcement Test Battery), and physical ability examination POST WSTB. The POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery may be waived if proof of a passing “T” score of 45.0, taken within the previous twelve months of the final filing date, and is submitted at time of application. “T” scores must be submitted with the application package, must not be more than twelve months old and will not be accepted at the testing site. Please contact the Human Resources Division for detailed information on the aspects and physical requirements of the physical ability test. The physical ability examination may be waived if proof of passing the POST work sample test battery examination administered by another agency taken within the previous twelve months of the final filing date, and is submitted at time of application.

Those candidates that successfully pass both the written and physical ability examinations may be invited to participate in an oral panel interview. Candidates passing all phases of the examination process will be placed on an eligibility list for further consideration by the Police Department.

Application Process: Candidates are encouraged to apply on-line using the Government Jobs web site and visiting the City of West Sacramento’s employment page. The Governmentjobs.com application is considered an official City application. Be sure to submit all required documents.

Application and Examination Process: An official City of West Sacramento application form must be filled out, in its entirety, and must include:

1) A copy of a POST Academy certificate or letter from a Basic POST Academy indicating current enrollment and the expected graduation date; and

2) A resume.

You will be disqualified if you do not submit all the required documents as noted above.

NO POSTMARKS. Applications, resumes and/or copies of the required documents received after the recruitment close date and time will not be accepted.
DEFINITION: Under direction of a Police Sergeant, performs law enforcement and crime prevention work; enforces traffic regulations; performs investigative work; participates in and provides assistance and support to special department crime prevention and enforcement programs; and performs a variety of technical law enforcement tasks. Technical and functional supervision may be provided by higher level police personnel. Assignments may require supervision of non-sworn personnel and volunteers.

ESSENTIAL AND MARGINAL FUNCTION STATEMENTS–Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:

Essential Functions: Patrols the City in a radio-equipped car; answers calls for the protection of life and property; enforces all applicable laws; patrols the City on a motorcycle or in a patrol vehicle; responds to calls related to traffic incidents and any other required emergencies; observes, monitors, and controls routing and unusual traffic conditions; assists and advises motorists and enforces traffic safety laws; makes arrests as necessary; interviews victims, complainants, and witnesses; interrogates suspects; gathers and preserves evidence; testifies and presents evidence in court; conduct basic preliminary and follow-up investigations of disturbances, prowlers, burglaries, thefts, robberies, deaths or other criminal incidents; contacts and cooperates with other law enforcement agencies in matters relating to the apprehension of offenders and the investigation of offenses; prepares reports on arrests made, activities performed and unusual incidents observed; checks buildings for physical security; serves warrants and subpoenas; requests and retrieves information involving arrests and subpoenas; files complaints and performs the work related to the processing of misdemeanor and felony complaints; searches, fingerprints, and transports prisoners; maintains contact with citizens regarding potential law enforcement problems and preserves good relationships with the general public; participates in crime prevention programs and activities; assists with the service of warrants within the department and with outside agencies; keeps up to date on laws and procedures for processing warrants; coordinates and conducts complete and detailed investigations of crimes; performs some identification duties such as collect, file, and oversees the maintenance of certain evidence, photographs, fingerprints; provides training and advises other officers in this area.

Marginal Functions: Administers First Aid as necessary; directs traffic at fires, special events and other emergencies or congested situations; performs limited crime laboratory analysis; performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.

EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Other: Twenty-one (21) years of age or older. Lateral Entry: One (1) year experience in a municipal or general law enforcement agency.

LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid California driver’s license. Lateral Entry: Proof of possession of a California Basic POST Certificate. Entry level: Completion of POST Basic Academy.

WORKING CONDITIONS: Work in an emergency peace control environment; work in intense life-threatening conditions; exposure to dangerous persons, firearms, bodily fluids, and noise; running, walking, crawling, climbing, stooping and lifting; work in inclement weather conditions.

An applicant who qualifies for veterans’ preference and successfully places on an eligibility list for initial entrance into employment with the city shall be advanced one rank on the final eligibility list. Where there are five (5) or less qualified applicants, no veterans’ preference shall apply and all applicants shall be placed on the certification list forwarded to the departments for hiring consideration. The exercise of veterans’ preference shall be exhausted upon appointment to a regular position from an eligibility list.

Expected salary: $91596 – 111612 per year

Location: West Sacramento, CA

Job date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 23:46:29 GMT

Apply for the job now!